We are looking for:
A FIELD SUPPORT TEAM – WASH CLUSTER COORDINATOR
Negotiable location, with 60% travel
Overall objective of the position:
The FST (Field Support Team) will be focused upon providing both direct and indirect support to WASH coordination platforms. All members of the team may also be deployed to or provide support to FST target countries or operations worldwide. All members of the team, although having distinct technical portfolio’s and profiles, are expected to contribute to improved and strengthened WASH coordination (pre, during and after operations) and relevant WASH capacity building activities. All the FST will ensure the functioning of the FST to support coordination and appropriate capacity building, linking with other clusters / actors and response mechanisms at global level, whilst ensuring that FSTs have the tools, capacity and resources they require to sustain high levels of performance in all aspects of their work. Similarly, all team members are expected to contribute to inter-cluster/sector harmonization and cross cutting issues of gender, age, diversity, advocacy, environmental sustainability and accountability to affected populations and ensure dissemination of information, and learning and capacity building through to FSTs.
The FST post holder will support the FST Manager, the CAST and indirectly the Cluster Lead Agency (CLA) in resourcing partners and cluster/sector participants for the effective management and functioning of WASH coordination platforms, encompassing the following:
- Work towards capitalising further on the measurable impact and relevancy of the FST and delivering coordination functions in accordance with the IASC defined cluster functions
- Develop a good understanding of the objectives of the FST concept, reflecting the strategic direction of the Global WASH Cluster and the means by which this position is expected to contribute overall to operational coordination and capacity building
- Capture and document lessons learned, best practices and standards at global level
- Support hub coordination officers in creation of their work-plans and budgets
- Establish and maintain consistency and quality and timeliness of reporting, as per requirements set out by the FST Manager, Geneva
- Contribute to and where required manage any formal agreements or legal frameworks relative to the position
- Attend and propose seminars, workshops and meetings relevant to the position as appropriate
- Provide or contribute to the provision of visibility actions to further promote the FST, GWC and its supporters and partners
- Support the implementation of ‘real-time’ reviews and evaluations during and post operations, develop further mechanisms to inform and gather feedback on coordination and FST deployments, work to define better how the FST works within a framework of accountability and ensures needs based programming.
- Support the decision making the FST manager by ensuring a clear system to consolidate, share, analyze and report/disseminate information critical to decision making
Specific roles and responsibility (non-deployment):
- Providing technical support to ongoing emergencies.
- Assess the capacity of pre-existing WASH coordination structures, advising upon the appropriate approach for support, making maximum use of pre-existing decision making structures (including government) and national capacities.
- Support the FST Manager to ensure cohesion when planning FST deployments and pre-departure briefings and propose revisions to FST ToRs to ensure alignment between documented responsibilities and actual needs in the context, revision of work plans and determining the nature of the work to be done.
- Within the framework of the Transformative Agenda (TA) for more effective strategy development and engagement with inter-agency processes, build upon and improve learning from other clusters experiences, modus operandi and use of advocacy, technology and streamlining of tools and procedures.
- Contribute to the review, refinement and promotion of procedures, tools and approaches adopted by WASH partners and contribute to their application within the FST membership.
- Build up working relationships with multi cluster response teams / and coordination mechanisms, UNICEF, humanitarian stakeholders, technical and research bodies, including UNDAC, ACAPS, Veolia, CALP and RRMs to allow learning, sharing innovations and knowledge (relevant to the function) to enable synergies and common approaches in emergency deployments.
- Support the execution as well as the further development and refinement of the coordination function, including follow up on latest technical developments at global level, relevant to coordination and screen for potential use in the FST and provide technical guidance for their application at national.
- Identification of university/training centers / private sector to include key training on leadership/coordination/management
- Support the development of indicators on the performance of cluster coordinators
- Identify requirements, desires for capacity building, trainings, and workshops of the national coordinators and ensure time spent on personal development which could ultimately improve productivity and achievement of FST objectives.
- Take stock of the long term strategic objectives and create strong vision and clarity around roles that will support the national platforms.
Technical Support and Mentoring to Country Cluster coordinator:
- Support and advice national cluster / sector coordinators to meet work related and personal objectives and competency.
- Ensure pre-departure / arrival support for preparation to improve confidence and understanding of the context, the work expected and the appropriate tools, ToR and resources to fulfil the tasks and processes.
- Ensure technical debriefings, ensuring collection of lessons learned and areas for technical follow-up.
- Ensure strong two way communication between country and global hub and inter-function, to ensure a sturdy support and rapid follow up on identified needs.
- Provide knowledge / competencies for skills development on specific topics including tools and ensure National Coordinators have full understanding and support in their role.
Work with the other FST technical specialists (IM, Assessment, Preparedness and continuity) to:
- Define impact indicators to be used by the FST in response and the methodology to ensure monitoring
- Provide the necessary expertise to ensure that WASH Cluster/Sector operations, from data processes to response monitoring, are effective and meet established standards.
- Promote and improve quality standards for basic WASH services, incorporating cross-cutting issues of significance to affected populations.
- Support the Global definition of high risk countries, including hazard risk mapping and country coordination capacity.
- Contributing to global stock piling requirements and strategy.
- Define appropriate visuals / graphs effective for reporting, tracking response, monitoring and information sharing.
- Capacity Building of WASH Coordination bodies: Work closely with the National Humanitarian WASH Coordination initiative of UNICEF (NHWC) to support WASH coordination structures, identify challenges and constraints to enhance capacity at government level for strengthened national ownership and leadership in humanitarian WASH
- Support capacity building of WASH partners through trainings, WebEx sessions, seminars, participation in simulations, etc.
- Support National platforms with regular cluster performance assessments and identify needs for support.
Deployment Time 60%: Direct surge support, will be under the direction of the National Head of Office of the Lead Agency or any Official s/he will have assigned, to support WASH sector/cluster response where additional surge capacity is required, at national or sub-national level, by establishing or consolidating in country coordination mechanisms / functions as appropriate and as referred in the IASC Reference Module for Cluster Coordination at Country Level. Key responsibilities comprise of :
- Linking with the FST manager and the CAST in all phases of deployment; preparation, in country and evaluation for support needs and follow up.
- Review in country the needs and work plan to ensure the continuity of the coordination function.
- Support service delivery: Establish or support existing platforms to ensure service delivery is driven by strategic priorities agreed by partners. Wherever possible, establish or promote links with / reinforce the capacity of national / local authorities.
- Develop mechanisms to ensure strategic decision-making for the humanitarian response: Ensure regular implementation of needs assessment and response gap analysis to prioritize interventions in the sector.
- Support planning and strategy development, developing strategic operational frameworks and response plans, ensure they support the HC/HCT strategic priorities and, wherever appropriate, compliment / reinforce national norms / policies / approaches.
- Actively support inter-sector coordination mechanisms: Ensure the inclusion of priorities of key other clusters/sectors in the WASH response plan and vice versa;
- Where appropriate, establish / consolidate sub-national clusters, outlining their key functions and the parameters within which it will operate, identify necessary funds and support partners to fill the positions.
- Ensure that WASH Cluster/Sector Partners adhere to existing humanitarian principles and standards and a set of minimum commitments for participation through their participation.
- Clarify funding requirements and priorities for the Cluster /Sector: Coordinate funding appeals (i.e Flash, CAP, CERF, ERF/CHF;
- Estimation of the cost-effectiveness and impact of emergency WASH interventions
- Establishment of systems to ensure accountability to affected populations
- Identify advocacy concerns and undertake advocacy activities on behalf of cluster / sector participants and the affected population;
- Ensure effective mechanisms for monitoring and reporting on the implementation of the cluster / sector strategy and results.
- Where necessary, formulate contingency plans / preparedness / capacity building and plans for exit/disengagement/transition in coordination with other sectors and the FST.
Qualification and previous experience:
- Minimum ten years field management experience in WASH emergency humanitarian contexts
- Strong experience in coordination
- Experience of developing and implementing WASH strategies
- A good understanding of the humanitarian policy environment including current knowledge of the latest WASH policies, research, international standards and developments in the field
- Proven ability to conceptualize, develop, plan monitor and evaluate programmes, as well as to teach skills and build team capacity.
- Experience with natural and complex political emergencies in diverse cultural and climatic settings.
- Experience of applying humanitarian accountability standards and practices.
- Ability to build relationships and networks with international donors, UN agencies and INGOs, national authorities, national/local partner agencies, etc
Knowledge and skills
- Highest-level technical, analytical, negotiation, communication and advocacy skills
- Ability to encourage team-working in a multi-cultural environment
- Excellent training, coaching and mentoring skills
- Excellent leadership skills
- Ability to analyse and present diverse and complex quantitative and qualitative data from a wide range of sources
- Quickly builds rapport with individuals and groups and nurtures good relationships across organizational levels and boundaries from government leaders to all stakeholders and the affected population
- Computer skills
Status:Fixed Term contract of 12 months – Executive Level
Duty station: Flexible – home, ACF Paris office or in UNCIEF, Geneva, Switzerland
Up to 60% deployed, 20% FST/GWC and 20% ACF
Annual Salary: Salary between 54,8 and 62 K€ gross over 13 months, Per-Diem supported by UNICEF when in the field, 19 days of extra leaves (RTT)/ year, complementary health insurance (covered 80% by ACF)
Starting Date: 2nd January 2017
To apply, please visit our website : http://recrutement.actioncontrelafaim.org/positions/view/2238/A-Field-Support-Team-WASH-Cluster-Coordinator/