Country: AFGHANISTAN – Kabul
Length of contract: 12 months starting from as soon as possible
Context : ACF has been operating in Afghanistan since 1979, with a strong focus on emergency response to human-made and natural disasters, targeting primarily refugees, Internally Displaced Persons, and flood/drought affected populations. Over the years, ACF has expanded the focus of its’ intervention from short-term, more emergency to longer term projects aimed at addressing chronic vulnerabilities of the communities and strengthening their capacity to prepare to, and cope with disasters. Sector-wise, ACF has established itself over the past 25 years as a prominent Nutrition and WASH actor, with recognized expertise in these two sectors and active membership to sectorial Clusters. The WASH Head of Department is an integral member of this group and has the unique opportunity to influence the WASH sector at the national policy level.
As per its mandate and global strategy, ACF has been working extensively in the field of nutrition, through integrated programs aimed at reducing under-5 morbidity and mortality. As of now, ACF is operating in 4 provinces in Afghanistan through integrated Nutrition, FSL and WASH interventions to support the most vulnerable groups.. In complement to implementation of programs, ACF has recently engaged in advocacy with the aim of improving nutrition service delivery in Afghanistan. All these exciting works are done by a highly motivated team of over 300 national staff and 15 expatriates.
The position: The Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) Coordinator will have to coordinate and supervise ACF WASH programs in Afghanistan, by ensuring the quality of implementation and strategy.
More precisely, the main responsibilities will be:
Design ACF technical country strategy for the WASH Department and contribute to ACF technical expertise
– Formulate or update the WASH strategy and contribute to the global country strategy.
– Represent ACF in WASH cluster and other related meetings at national level to foster learning, sharing and coordination within the sector.
– Capitalize ACF technical experience including good practices as well as dissemination and utilisation of documentation for discussion and development of guidelines of intervention
Ensure the active participation of ACF in national sectorial coordination and technical forums, and develop sectorial partnerships
– Represent ACF in dealings with national and international WASH authorities/stakeholders; participate to coordination meetings, working group and clusters informing on ACF positions and protocols.
– Develop a network among universities, private company, research institutes and relevant key stakeholders linked to WASH activities.
– Publish and produce information concerning technical progress, impact of programs, results of research internally or externally
Coordinate, monitor and develop the WASH programming in the country
– Support the teams in the identification of technical difficulties, troubleshooting and recommend credible solutions
– Ensure that technical monitoring tools are developed and used, including close follow-up of program indicators
– Develop concept notes and proposals that are relevant to the proposed geographic and sociocultural context
Human resources Management
– Take part in recruitment, training, orientation of WASH Program Managers
– Develop WASH competencies throughout the mission
– Identify various technical training needs of the team and ensure adequate and timely provision of identified trainings
6 ongoing projects:
- Helmand Province & Ghor Province : Integrated Emergency Nutrition and WASH response to reduce excess child morbidity and mortality
- Balkh Province – Feasibility study for marketing of Bio Sand Filters
- Kabul City – Multi-sectoral intervention based on the provision of drinking water, promotion of hygiene and vertical gardening pilot for people living in Kabul Informal Settlements
- Helmand Province & Kabul City – Emergency Response to reduce morbidity and mortality associated with critical rates of Global Acute Malnutrition amongst under-five children in IDP populations
The applicant: You hold a Master Degree WASH-related technical training with a solid experience of 3 years minimum in WASH activities and coordination in humanitarian context.
You demonstrate the ability to provide professional technical advice in a broad range of WASH technical areas.
You have an experience in Project management and remote management.
You have an excellent interpersonal, organizational, multitasking, team player and communication skills.
You speak and write English fluently
Status: Gross monthly salary ranging from €1805 to €2305 depending on relevant experience
Food and hygiene expenses, per diem, transportation costs, collective or individual accommodation, medical insurance
25 days of annual paid leaves and 20 days of rest and recuperation (R&R) per year
To apply, please visit our website: http://recrutement.actioncontrelafaim.org/positions/view/2057/A-WASH-Coordinator/