Job title: Sanitation Technical Advisor
Department: LAC, PSI/Haiti (OHMaSS)
Based in Haiti
Reports to the Director of Programs, Haiti
Please apply directly at the PSI website: https://careers-psi.icims.com/jobs/1251/sanitation-technical-advisor%2c-haiti/job
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. At PSI, we believe that extreme poverty can be eradicated in our lifetime only by breaking the traditional development model. Together with our partners, we develop and test breakthrough concepts that actually have the potential to go to scale and make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI has operated in Haiti as a local NGO for more than 25 years, having launched products ranging from condoms to contraceptives, and ORS to safe water. In line with its institutional development vision, PSI Haiti has deepened its national roots, changing its name to reflect a more local entity now called Organisation Haitienne de Marketing Social pour la Santé(OHMaSS), and developing a more diverse board. Thanks to a dedicated team of 80+ staff members, PSI manages various projects funded by multiple donors in different health areas.
PSI seeks qualified candidates for a Sanitation Technical Advisor position within OHMaSS.
This position is expected to lead the design and execution of strategies, approaches and tools to strengthen the market for sanitation products and services, as part of the anticipated USAID WASH project. The sanitation technical advisor will oversee a team of specialists to ensure that the project sanitation activities are technically sound and achieve the project’s objectives in facilitating access to, and use of, toilets and fecal sludge management services. This involves developing strategic partnerships with public and private sector actors to improve the enabling environment, generate demand, and strengthen the supply chain for delivering services. This innovative sanitation portfolio includes establishment of commercially viable, scalable, and sustainable business models to address sanitation needs in Haiti.
This position will work in a complex space of entrepreneurs, established enterprises, service providers, finance institutions, government institutions, NGO partners, local authorities and consumers to achieve both business sustainability and health outcomes. This position requires technical expertise in sanitation, as well as business, leadership, management, and coordination skills.
Bottom line: we are looking for someone who can spearhead the sanitation portfolio of OHMaSS and establish strong partnerships with public and private actors to help transform the sanitation market in both urban and rural settings. This full-time position is based in Port-au-Prince and will report to the Director of Programs of OHMaSS. The position will require up to 30% travel to visit market players and partners in the field.
Sound like you? Read on.
- Design and coordinate of all aspects of the project sanitation-related components and oversee all technical activities
- Assist in the development and analysis of quantitative and qualitative assessments including baseline surveys and market assessments
- Facilitate the production of affordable technologies – and their use in target communities. Ensure that existing and new technologies meet the needs of the market and can be produced and/or used by local partners from the private sector
- Ensure technical and procedural harmonization through designing quality assurance tools and systems for products, manufacturing and installation/use of products and services.
- Coordinate the market facilitation and partnership formation actions of the project and support the whole project team to understand and successfully carry out these activities.
- Liaise with partner businesses to test and adopt identified technologies; work closely with project identified partner businesses to provide training on production of products and delivery of services and to ensure quality control of those products and services.
- Work closely with government, businesses and other stakeholders to ensure ownership and sustainability of market development approaches
- Engage with relevant government/local partners to effectively foster the coordination and partnerships and between public and private sectors
- Support the identification and participate in the negotiation of contracts with contractors in order to strengthen local supply chain to facilitate the provision of long term stocks of chlorine and spare parts for service providers.
- Contribute to the development of metrics and establishment of a monitoring and evaluation framework for tracking progress for the project, with specific attention to technology and market development.
- Review and analyze monitoring data regularly to improve management and decision-making.
- Establish a learning and evidence plan, and ensure frequent communication of project learning with the national and global WASH communities
- Support the COP to assess technical and human resource needs of sanitation portfolio and make recommendations; Supervise the project’s sanitation team
- Represent PSI/OHMaSS and the project at water and sanitation fora, and technical sessions.
What are we looking for?
- At least a Master’s Degree in an area such as engineering, business, management, or other relevant fields
- At least 10 years of experience in managing & implementing WASH projects at the international level, including at least 7 years of experience in sanitation
- Demonstrated experience of working with senior stakeholders from government agencies, businesses, international organizations, donors, etc.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience in building government, nongovernment, and community capacity to address WASH issues
- Familiarity with formative research, progressive M&E applications, surveys/studies, and evaluations
- WASH sector finance and micro-finance expertise
- Experience with market-driven sanitation sector highly desired
- Familiarity with the WASH sector in Haiti desirable
- Experience in direct supervision and management of small and large teams;
- Knowledge and skill in developing infographics that effectively communicate research results to different audience types;
- Experience in proposal writing a plus;
- Proven experience in capacity building;
- Extensive experience in planning, preparation and monitoring of budgets, preparation of reports and presentations, using advanced computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Internet);
- Excellent verbal and written French and English communication skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with people having various profiles;Ability to work in teams and under pressure.
What would get us excited?
The successful candidate will be someone who shows great leadership and ability to work with minimal supervision. The successful candidate will also be someone that will be able to promote OHMaSS/PSI expertise in Sanitation to donors and stakeholders.
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
NOTE THAT THIS POSITION IS PENDING AVAILABILITY OF FUNDING