The Nepal Earthquake Recovery Programme has a vacancy for a Civil Engineer. This is an opportunity for an experienced engineer to work in the international humanitarian sector as part of the Red Cross Red Crescent Movement. The post holder will provide technical oversight for the implementation and management of community water schemes, drainage improvements, health-post construction and the retrofitting of a blood bank.
BRC and the Nepal Red Cross Society (NRCS) have partnered on programmes since 2005 and BRC has been present in Nepal since 2012. Following the earthquakes in 2015, BRC is supporting the Nepal Red Cross Society (NRCS) with an Earthquake Recovery Programme.
Based in Kathmandu, the successful candidate will join the established BRC team, consisting of international delegates and national staff. Reporting into the Recovery Programme Manager, the post holder will work with the BRC Livelihoods delegate and the NRCS providing technical guidance, ensuring accountability to beneficiaries and the delivery of high quality products.
The ideal candidate will be able to provide evidence of;
- Educated to degree level or equivalent in a relevant subject in water/civil engineering, or equivalent experience
- Fluency in written and verbal English
- Strong computer skills- MS office AutoCAD, Sketch up and other design software
- Specialist knowledge on designing EQ resistant RCC and Pre-fab structures
- Technical knowledge of contract management
- Experience working in humanitarian aid in a developing country
- Significant experience in Civil construction in recovery projects (community water supply and building construction)
- Experience working with and through local partners in a mentoring and capacity building manner
- Experience of working in urban contexts
- Experience in integrating issues relating to protection of vulnerable groups, gender and diversity, accessibility, community engagement into water and other construction activities
To see the full job description and to apply online please visit our website. Do not post applications or requests online on the washvacancies.wordpress.com web site. For further information about this role or if you are unable to apply online please contact Kate Mills on KateMills@redcross.org.uk quoting ref number REQ0000011VY
Closing date for receipt of completed application forms is 1st November 2016.
Interviews will take place on 8th and 9th November 2016.
Internal applicants: Please note you will need to use your ID number as your username and your SAVI self service password as your password in order for the system to recognise you as an internal candidate.
We are a volunteer-led humanitarian organisation that helps people in crisis, whoever and wherever they are. We enable vulnerable people at home and overseas to prepare for and respond to emergencies in their own communities. And when the crisis is over, we help people recover and move on with their lives
We are committed to welcoming people from the widest possible diversity of background, culture and experience. The British Red Cross, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949) and Scotland (SC037738).