Job Title: Legal Counsel
Permanent, part-time position (3 to 4 days per week)
ONE DROP – THE ORGANIZATION
One Drop, an ambitious, agile and entrepreneurial non-profit organization created in 2007 by the founder of Cirque du Soleil, Guy Laliberté, strives to ensure that water is accessible to all, today and forever. As an emerging leader of the water, sanitation and hygiene sector (WASH), One Drop significantly and sustainably improves the living conditions of communities within developing countries worldwide through innovative water-access projects. To learn more, visit onedrop.org.
ONE DROP – THE PEOPLE
Such an ambitious mission calls for extraordinary measures delivered by exceptional people, and the men and women who lead at One Drop are those who step up to the plate. Charting paths through unfamiliar territory and inspiring everyone around them, they are constantly on the lookout for new opportunities within today’s challenges. You are one of these leaders. With your energy, passion and determination, you motivate and inspire those around you to use their clarity of vision, their enthusiasm and their will to succeed to turn dreams into reality. And you get results.
ONE DROP – THE OPPORTUNITY
One Drop, a non-profit organization with an entrepreneurial culture and operating within a global context, is looking for a dynamic individual who is results-oriented and ready to take on new challenges in a high-growth and stimulating environment. This is an excellent professional opportunity for a lawyer mainly practicing in commercial law, inspired by the non-profit sector, and looking to engage with an extraordinary global mission, but on a part-time basis.
Under the supervision of the Director of Legal Affairs, the Legal Counsel will provide support for all files that are entrusted to the Director. The Legal Counsel will also autonomously carry out and manage a wide array of different files in various areas of law.
Main Roles and Responsibilities
- Provide advice and opinions required by the executive team, managers and employees of ONE DROP and its international affiliates regarding all legal and business-related questions;
- Draft, analyze, and review commercial contracts of all types and participate in negotiating these agreements;
- Develop and draft agreement templates used by the organization in order to ensure standardization and develop best practices;
- Participate in the continuous improvement of the organization’s systems and procedures put in place for the management of the legal aspects of the organization’s activities;
- Participate in the development of legal structures for the implementation of the organization’s projects;
- Assist the Director in maintaining the corporate minute books, drafting meeting minutes, organizing board meetings, submitting annual reports, as well as in all corporate-secretary related tasks for the organization and its international affiliates;
- Prepare and oversee the filing of all other documents required by competent authorities and which are under the responsibility of Legal Affairs;
- Assist and support the Director in any other legal files in various areas of law in connection with the organization’s activities;
- Manage any files assigned to external law firms, if required.
- Member of the Barreau du Québec.
- Minimum of 5 years’ relevant experience in commercial law. Experience in corporate law and entertainment law is a definite asset;
- Experience in negotiating agreements with bilateral institutions (ex.: Canadian International Development Agency – CIDA) and multilateral institutions (ex: World Bank) is an asset.
- Perfectly bilingual in French and English (written and spoken);
- Knowledge of Spanish an asset;
- Knowledge of Windows and Microsoft Office suite.
- Thoroughness, attention to detail and excellent skills in contract drafting;
- Methodical, analytical and structured thinking and capacity for synthesis;
- Ability to work autonomously and in a team as well as efficiently manage a wide variety of business transactions and legal questions;
- Ability to recommend solutions to achieve concrete business goals;
- Excellent time-management skills and capacity to manage priorities and multiple files at the same time;
- Client-oriented and good team player;
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent communications skills;
- Proactive attitude, initiative and leadership skills.