Role and Responsibilities
To plan, develop, monitor and evaluate the assigned WASH project(s). Assess WASH needs, design projects, write proposals and initiate and effectively manage and report on projects in line with the objectives, timeframe and budget. Provide technical support, leadership and strategic direction; meet quality standards in WASH delivery, encourage beneficiary participation, liaise with other stakeholders and manage and train WASH staff.
Emergency Relief and Recovery projects in countries of high vulnerability.
Medair brings life-saving relief and recovery in disasters, conflict areas, and other crises by working alongside the most vulnerable. Its Internationally Recruited (IRS) and HQ staff are inspired by their Christian faith to care for people in need, providing practical and compassionate support, regardless of race, religion, or politics. Medair has achieved the ISO 9001:2008 certification, worldwide. This certification signifies that Medair effectively delivers goods and services with a focus on beneficiary needs. Founded in 1989, Medair’s unwavering commitment continues to bring hope to the world’s most vulnerable.
Generic Field Vacancies are based in a capital city or main field base in one of our programmes in Afghanistan, D.R. Congo, Haiti, Madagascar, Somalia / Somaliland, South Sudan, Syria or Zimbabwe.
This position is not currently open, but frequently required in the Field
Initial Contract Details
Normally ranges from (a minimum of) 12 months to 2 years, full time
Key Activity Areas
WASH Project Management
- Manage the assigned WASH project(s) to meet the project objectives within budget and allotted time frame.
- Provide strong leadership of the assigned WASH project(s), working to ensure both short / long-term positive impacts and outcomes for the beneficiaries, local authorities (where applicable) and local WASH staff.
- Develop and implement an appropriate and effective WASH strategy, setting clear objectives and indicators, for WASH activities in consultation with other WASH staff and field managers, and, where appropriate, with the local communities.
- Continuously monitor and supervise WASH activities, overseeing the technical design, execution and evaluation of progress through outputs and impacts using both quantitative and qualitative data.
- Provide input into the integration of beneficiary participation and accountability in all aspects of the project.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of activities according to Medair, donor and other applicable timeframes and formats.
- Develop new proposals, linked to the country strategy, in conjunction with the relevant field managers.
- Line-manage the WASH Manager(s) of the assigned project(s), including day-to-day management, development and training, appraisals, etc.
- Facilitate regular staff meetings to ensure awareness of project objectives, and opportunity for feedback.
- Provide staff coaching and technical supervision to develop ownership / responsibility for WASH activities.
- Manage the WASH budget for the assigned project(s) and ensure all expenses are according to budget and meet Medair standards with regard to financial management, including accountability and good governance.
Communication and Coordination
- Develop and maintain appropriate, regular, transparent and supportive communication structures with the assigned WASH team, Medair in-country and HQ WASH managers and advisors and other relevant stakeholders (e.g. beneficiaries, community leaders, local and national government officials, UN agencies and other NGOs), with the objective of ensuring good cooperation and partnerships.
- Participate in WASH coordination meetings and other working groups or meetings as required, representing Medair and feeding back to the WASH staff and field managers on relevant issues.
- Liaise, as necessary, with the WASH, logistics and finance staff to ensure items are procured, transported, stored, managed and accounted for correctly.
- Ensure WASH projects are implemented in line with donor proposals and requirements and in accordance with Medair, donor, country and international standards i.e. Sphere and HAP standards.
- Higher level qualification in a technical field, preferably in water and sanitation
- BSc / MSc in Water / Environmental Engineering or Management or Civil Engineering or Hydrology / Geology desirable
- Strong working knowledgeof English (spoken and written)
- Working knowledge of French (spoken and written) for French-speaking programmes
Experience / Competencies
- 2 years post-qualification professional experience in a relevant field
- Management experience in a WASH context; Technical WASH skills within a humanitarian setting
- Experience in a WASH programme in a developing country, preferably in a humanitarian context desirable
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian standards such as Sphere and HAP
- Experience using GIS software desirable; aptitude for community mobilisation and capacity-building
- Good numerical, report writing and administration skills; committed to consultative and servant-minded leadership; able to set clear objectives for staff and to delegate; able to enforce procedures
Medair Standard Working Requirements for the Field
- Experienced professionals in a relevant field
- Committed Christians
- Commitment to Medair values(faith, hope, accountability, integrity, dignity, compassion)
- Overseas intercultural experience
- Strong working knowledge of English, spoken and written
- Working knowledge of French, spoken and written for French-speaking field programmes
- Single or married (with no children under 18). If married, your spouse must also apply.
- Competent with Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
- Successful completion of Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC)
- Reflect the vision and values of Medair when interacting with team members, local staff, beneficiaries and external contacts
- Able to live and work with a multicultural team under difficult conditions
- Strong character traits, including emotional stability, adaptability, ability to handle stress, cultural and gender sensitivity, honesty, and physically fit
- A salary based upon the grade of the position and the experience of the position-holder
- Full briefing at our Swiss headquarters, as well as an in-country briefing
- Security training for those going to particularly insecure environments
- Accommodation, food, and transportation in-country
- Return flights to and from the country programme (one return flight for every year of service)
- Rest and recuperation (R&R) leave (including travel, accommodation, and food)
- Annual leave; Disability Allowance
- Re-entry allowance for those who commit to longer contracts
- Comprehensive medical and emergency rescue insurance, with up to 60 days post- assignment coverage, including debriefing
- Living conditions on field trips (which may last several days) can be very basic.